Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring Decorating

It's somewhat late, and I'm still in the throes of my annual Spring Break Cold (I must put it on my list to defeat that for next year), so I haven't gotten to do nearly as much stuff around the house as I'd wanted to, but I want to give you a quick peek at some of what I have actually gotten done. Remember that I'd wanted to use up some of my stocks of paper and beads?  Well, done and done! (Or, started and started.) 

I used some pastel papers to make miniature bunting for two shelves in my house, and then made paper balls from circles of the same paper. A bit of mint green crochet thread I've had for years was the string for the bunting, and, since I couldn't find my glue stick in the first two minutes of looking, I just sewed it all together on my sewing machine.


I set the stitch as wide as it would go, but not very long, so it would go across the string on each stitch. For the bunting, I just kept sewing until I reached the end.

The balls were a bit more difficult. I know there's a mathematical way to divide circles into equilateral triangles, but I couldn't remember it off the top of my head, so I just eyeballed the first one, then used it as a pattern to fold the other circles. Once I had all eight circles folded, I zig-zagged them together. Pretty simple, until I got to the last two seams. Those two had to be sewn a little further away from the fold line than I'd done the rest, but I figured that they could be the bottom of the sphere. After all, it has to rest somewhere, doesn't it?

I'll show you all how I used all these paper pretties later on.  Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment